What You Need to Do After Getting a DUI
  1. Home
  2.  ► 
  3. Category: Criminal Law
  4.  ► What You Need to Do After Getting a DUI

What You Need to Do After Getting a DUI

On Behalf of | Jul 6, 2018 | Category: Criminal Law, Firm News |

Getting charged with a DUI Defense can have serious consequences. To best protect yourself and your future, there are some steps you should take in the immediate aftermath of receiving a DUI charge. Below, the drunk driving and criminal attorneys at Thompson Law Office in Lexington, KY, discuss three things to do after getting a DUI. 3 Things to Do After Getting a DUI

  1. Hire a Lawyer

If you have not already done so, start looking for a lawyer to represent you. DUI law is complex, and the potential penalties are severe, so you want to have the strongest chance of fighting the charges against you. Your attorney understands the law inside and out, and they will utilize this knowledge to safeguard your interests and get you the most beneficial outcome possible.

  1. Attend All Court Dates

Consider your court obligations to be the highest priority in your life right now. Attend all court dates as scheduled and show up to all hearings and trials prepared for the experience. Your DUI lawyer will give you an idea of what to expect, so take notes and ask questions before walking into the courtroom. Be on time, dress professionally, and demonstrate respect for the courts at all times.

  1. Request a DMV Hearing

If your license was suspended because of your DUI, you want to start addressing this matter sooner rather than later. You will need to request a hearing with the DMV, and this is a matter separate from any legal-related court hearings. Submit your request within 20 days of the date your suspension notification was mailed. At any stage of the DUI process, trust Thompson Law Office to look out for you. With more than two decades of combined legal experience, they represent area clients in a variety of legal cases and practice areas. Call (859) 280-2222, visit their Thompson Law Office, or contact them on Facebook to arrange a free consultation.